Exclusive Interview With King Abstrakt

Up and coming rapper and song writer, Abstrakt has been making lime lights and has got the youths dancing to his songs and has made summer '17 a summer to remember with his hit track "GIVVAM". We have him in the studio today and he would be telling us more about his debut EP, so stay tuned and read more.



Colossus Media: So Mr Abstrakt, how did you come about your stage name?



Abstrakt: It was in 2013, I was having a rap battle in Unilag. Someone was like "This guy raps really abstract". I needed a stage name then, so I went home, did some research and found out it was the perfect tag for my lifestyle and music.



Colossus Media: How did you get into music?



Abstrakt: I used to collect Cd's from my friends and play on my walk-man in early 2000. I listened to Diddy, Snoop Dogg, Aliyah, R-kelly and many other artistes including Nigerian artistes. I was musically inclined and was even the social prefect then. I had exposure to music; I always found myself writing songs and coming up with rhymes, lyrics, wordplay and punchlines so I just gave it a try.



Colossus Media: I know multi tasking is not easy for some people,so how do you manage school and music?



Abstrakt: It's difficult but it's been God anyways. I have a time-table for so many things, time to read, time to go to school, time to go to the studio and work; it's really difficult but we'd pull through.



Colossus Media: We went for shows you performed this summer, how do you feel when fans scream and sing the lines of your songs especially givvam?



Abstrakt: Its very overwhelming. You go for a show with only one person and when you're performing ,you hear a thousand people sing back; Its very overwhelming and I'm happy.



Colossus Media: Do you feel any type of pressure as a new school artiste especially now that new artistes emerge everyday?



Abstrakt: Its not a pressure to me, it's a challenge. "No sleeping in the streets", If you relent, other people would take over; so its not pressure, its a challenge to keep doing new things and coming up with good music. I came to take someone's place so I have to fight so someone else won't take mine.



Colossus Media: How do you handle your female fans and critics?



Abstrakt: Female fans... I just let it flow and for the critics... I always knew there'd be stupid people from the beginning and I've been ready for them since day one; I see some things on social media and ignore, most of them I give replies to when the need arises. I don't feel depressed pr sad when I see the criticism.



Colossus Media: You just dropped your debut EP "RADIO IRREGULAR " tell us the response and how you came up with it?




Abstrakt: The initial title was "One Lekki Night" because I recorded 7 songs in Lekki one night; that was legendary and classy... 7 songs I never heard any instrumentals for. I figured out that the songs I was putting out were not regularly played on the radio. We already know the songs we have on the radio, the cliche beats, all the instrumentals.. This is different from those so I came up with "Radio Irregular" as plain as it is, songs that are not regularly played on the radio. For example, Lagos girls, You might never hear that sound anywhere just like that or "2am picaresque" is straight hip-hop and very rare to hear on the radio.



Colossus Media: Is there any mami or odoo in your life?



Abstrakt: Not officially though but we're working on it.



Colossus Media: Before we leave, can you say one or two things to your fans and how they can reach you on social Media



Abstrakt: I don't particularly tell people to support me, I know people would definitely support good music and I'm sure I release and put out good music; I say it a lot and every time. I love my fans so much even more than my friends, I just love them so much. Follow me on @kingabstrakt on every social media network.


Follow Us On Our Social Media Pages  Twitter and Instagram


Comments

  1. Very nice interview... Really insightful... His music is definitely awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There’s No Manual For Management In The Entertainment Industry - A&R Emmanuellah

#TheLostSounds: AYO MAFF

I AIM TO MAKE MUSIC THAT SPEAKS TO PEOPLE - LUNA.