Exclusive Interview With Mayowa Somide



Mayowa Somide is a photographer who is currently on the rise to being one of the biggest in the photography business. We had him in our studio where he shared his experience being a photographer. I hope you guys enjoy this!

COLOSSUS MEDIA: Who Is Mayowa Somide?



MAYOWA: Mayowa Somide is a student, photographer, visual artist , entrepreneur.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Give a brief description of yourself for our readers to know a little about you.



MAYOWA: I'm a 90's baby born into a family of 5. I'm the second born and only boy. I attended peculiar treasures nursery and primary school all through my primary education, never really got to switch schools.Then I moved on to Babington Macaulay junior seminary at ikorodu for my secondary education. I'm currently a student of the University of Lagos.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: How did you get into the photography business?



MAYOWA: Well I love pictures, pictures of everything else except me. I hardly take pictures of myself, I don't even like it. Right from secondary school I've been taking pictures. Most times when I'm bored I take pictures of things around me including inanimate objects with my phone of course (didn't have a camera then). December 2015, my elder sister got a professional camera for herself, she hardly ever used it so I picked it up and started using it. Someone (Uthman Sanni) showed me how to use the manual settings sometime around April 2016, so since then I've been learning through trial and error.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Give an insight into the "Mayowa Somide" Brand?



MAYOWA: It's growing, It's going to be big and diverse. It's not just focused on one aspect of photography.




Colossus Media: Ever had a bad shoot?




MAYOWA: I've had many bad shoots while learning (I'm still learning), most of them were my fault. It's either I don't get the right white balance or I mistakenly shoot on "jpeg" instead of "raw" format or I don't get the right lighting I need. Sometimes it's the fault of the models who don't give the right kind of vibe you need for a shoot.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Who is your biggest competition?



MAYOWA: I don't feel there's any competition in photography. My only competitor is myself. Every time I take a picture I always try to make it better than the last. Photography is diverse, different people have different styles, you have to find your style and improve on it thereby creating a name for yourself.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Ever received any award?



MAYOWA: Not yet.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Do you currently have any setbacks in your photography business?



MAYOWA: Well, my major setback is that I don't have a studio of mine yet so most times I rent a studio. Although I'm gathering my equipment already so with time I should set up mine by God's grace.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: What makes you who you are in the photography business?



MAYOWA: Well, I'm still up coming; still learning and improving. Who I am is based on what you think. I still see myself as an amateur.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Who is your biggest motivation?



MAYOWA: That should be me. Most times I scroll down to the end of my page just to look at where I started from and where I am now, the difference is amazing and it pushes me to want to do more. There are so many photographers I look up to, people like Mr adore, Prince Meyson, Obi Somto, Eleanor Goodey, Kelechi Amadi Obi, David Martins, trans4maz, Seye Kehinde, Kolawole Victor and the list goes on, these photographers have created a name for theirselves and they have perfected their styles.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Describe your style



MAYOWA: I'm basically into portraits, events, lifestyle and fashion photography.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: So there won't be branching out of any kind?



MAYOWA: Well, not yet.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Is photography a business or an hobby to you?



MAYOWA: Its both.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?



MAYOWA: For the creative aspect of my life, I see myself managing an audiovisual studio of mine.



COLOSSUS MEDIA: Any advice for upcoming photographers?



MAYOWA: Well, don't try to be like anybody. Don't copy anybody's style, find your style and harness it.



Below are some of his works





Follow him on Instagram: @mayowa_ovd 


Follow Us On Our Social Media Pages Twitter and Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There’s No Manual For Management In The Entertainment Industry - A&R Emmanuellah

#TheLostSounds: AYO MAFF

I AIM TO MAKE MUSIC THAT SPEAKS TO PEOPLE - LUNA.