EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH APRIL MAEY



 In recent times,the music industry has seen Nigerian women become bold with their spread choices of music into depth from Disc Jockeying, Playlisting and curations,Song writing and soulful Artistes pushing the culture to the next level. Belgium based Nigerian alternative artiste , April “Somi” Maey with masters in new media at the VUB in Brussels Belgium released her Debut EP “Ticket To Anywhere” with songs like Somebody,Starry nights etc while she continuously expressed her identity on each track. She has worked with notable Artistes like MI Abaga,YCee,Reinhard,Oxlade to mention a few. The project displays her musical prowess to flow between multiple genres considering her lack of experience in the industry.

Congratulations on your debut EP April, considering your skeletal discography and lack of experience in the industry,how were you able to make this happen?

Well, I just wanted to put together a project to test the market and see how people receive it. I was lucky enough to have a few people in the industry help me through it and give me some feedback, citymonstar, Boogey, slay Velli. They all really helped me find the sound I wanted and yeah, we made it happen. 


You're a Nigerian based in Belgium tell us more about yourself?

I’m just a chill person, and I really like to go with the vibe. Nigeria has impacted me a lot and I like to show that and appreciate the culture. There isn’t a lot going on apart from music and school. I study a masters degree at VUB in Brussels and I’ll be done in 2021. Before then, I’ll just focus on putting out good music and developing as an artist and performer! 


What made you pursue a career in music?

I’ve always loved music, it’s my biggest inspiration, I worked at chocolate city music and the love for music grew, so I decided to give it a shot! 


What would you describe your sound as?

I just love vibes! I love lyrics and emotion and sometimes I just like to vibe on songs, so get ready for different versions of me and I’d say prepare to be surprised haha! 



What was the creative Process of your EP “Ticket to anywhere”?

There were a lot of songs that didn’t make it on the project. I just wanted it to be relaxing and try to express different feelings through the music. Ticket to Anywhere was mostly about my transition from design to music, and merging different versions of myself. 


You maintained the same low charming tempo which allows each track to perfectly fit into another,how's your growth been music Wise?

I’ve grown a lot in the past year, but I definitely want to express different feelings, not just the one chill vibe. And I’d like to experiment a lot, there’s still so much I haven’t tried and I’m excited to just dive into it

For you the EP “Ticket to anywhere” is a big story book,what inspired the project?


It was about merging the design/creative side of myself and the music side. Most times people want you to focus on one thing. But I’m not like that, I want to be as creative as possible and express myself in as many ways as possible. That’s what inspired the project, my willingness to create and try new things. 


Talking about Collaborations,who would you love being in the studio with creating music?

Asa, Omah Lay, Burna Boy. And a lot more! 


What's next for you April?

Right now I’m focusing on building myself as an artist and testing the market, seeing what works best and making good music.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There’s No Manual For Management In The Entertainment Industry - A&R Emmanuellah

#TheLostSounds: AYO MAFF

I AIM TO MAKE MUSIC THAT SPEAKS TO PEOPLE - LUNA.